Photo

How to activate a iPhone on Straight Talk.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Chris

Chris

Bazinga

• Administrator
  • 4,918 Posts
  • Twitter:@ChrisOSX
  • iDevice:Apple TV

On one of my recent blogs, I talked about switching my AT&T iPhone 4s and using it on Straight Talk. Well today was the day I received my Micro SIM/Activation Kit along with a $45 Unlimited card. Right away I jumped into the process and had everything working within 20 min of being on the phone with them.

I will walk you through the steps I took to do this correctly, along with setting up the APN profile you need to in order for the Data service to work.

Ok, now lets start off by assuming you have already purchased the SIM (3GS and lower) or Micro SIM (iPhone 4/4s) along with the Unlimited Card from Straight Talk, and you have already received it ready to go.

Attached File  13353910140001-sim3.jpg   27.4KB   30 downloads

Unlocked phones require unlocked SIM cards.

AT&T phones require AT&T SIM cards.

If this is your only way to communicate, then call up Straight Talk and let them know what you want to do. If your porting, you will need all of your account info. Be prepared and have everything. if your setting up a new phone number, then disregard.

Once you have completed the transaction with them and have received your Reference # Your good to start.

On a side note, have them read back your phone number a few times just to make sure they have it right, the language barrier has it's downfalls lol

*DISCLAIMER*
All info provided here was pulled together and posted in a fashion that has worked for me. I am NOT responsible for any deactivation or loss of service. Either of those that forfeits your account and loss of money from activation cards/SIM cards.
Tethering is not allowed on Straight Talk (don't know how well they can track it), anybody caught their account will more then likely get deactivated.

Deactivation means loss of of your money, unusable SIM cards and lost phone number. You have been warned.

Help insanelyi Out!

Like our repo, forum and everything that's involved? Every feature needs financial assistance to continue it's daily ongoing function. We ask you to Donate or purchase VIP whenever possible. Every little bit helps. Thank You ).gif

Personal donations can be given Here

Chris

Chris

Bazinga

• Administrator
  • 4,918 Posts

Non-Jailbroken Devices: (MMS will NOT work with this method, only data)

1. Open your Safari app and navigate to http://iapnupdatetfd...traighttalk.com
2. It should open the settings app, then tap install.
5. Restart your device (airplane mode sometimes works too).

You data and regular text messages should now be functional.

Jailbroken: Using TetherMe

1. Navigate to Cydia and let it refresh completely
2. Tap Manage, Sources, Edit then Add. Enter our repo, repo.insanelyi.com. Tap add source. (Alternatively you can buy it from the BigBoss repo, after all you rely on this package...support the devs!)
3. Once it's added, refresh in Changes (if it didn't do it already). Tap Search and search for TetherMe then install (your phone will respring)
4. Go to Settings, then to TetherMe settings.
5. Keep APN selection switched to Automatic and enter the following information.

NEW OFFICIAL APN SETTINGS:

Cellular Data:
APN: tfdata
Username:
Password:

MMS:
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS Max Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL:

OLD APN SETTINGS (may work for some phones):
Cellular Data:
APN: att.mvno
Username:
Password:

MMS:
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS UA Prof URL:

Reboot your device, all MMS/Data should now be working. TetherMe also enables Personal Hotspot. Don't let straight talk catch you, they can disable/slow your data or disable your entire account.

iBackupBot:

1. Download iBackupBot from http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.html (If you download this software it will not let you modify files, unless you register for $34.95)
2. Go to iTunes and backup your iPhone to computer not iCloud
3. Load iBackBot software and load restore for your iPhone
4. You need to edit the following plist files to get MMS working by double clicking them in iBackupBot

• SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Search for "apn" and on all line following it, place "att.mvno" between the tags.
Sometimes 1 or more lines will say "phone", instead of apn. Still replace with att.mvno

Example of Before:

<key>apn</key>
<string>phone</string>

Example of After:

<key>apn</key>
<string>att.mvno</string>
  • Library/Preferences/com.apple.mms_override.plist. (I never personally tried this edit, but have seen it around so I included it anyways)

Use this text:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>MMS</key>
    <dict>
        <key>MMSC</key>
        <string>http://mmsc.cingular.com</string>
        <key>MaxMessageSize</key>
        <integer>1048576</integer>
        <key>Proxy</key>
        <string>66.209.11.33:80</string>
        <key>UAProf</key>
        <string>http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

6. Then click the checkmark on those two file and restore to the iphone using iBackupBot software

7. It should restore and after reboot MMS should start working.

On a side note, I found after each restore, the lines the code is on changes. Also there is a total of 4 spots to change, not 3 how I previously had this post.

Non-Jailbroken SIM Card Swap Trick:

You need your Straight Talk SIM card activated and ready to use, also an active T-Mobile SIM card to perform these following steps.

1. Remove any APN profiles you previously installed, then reboot your phone.
2. Forget any WiFi networks, and turn WiFi off completely. This will slow down the "Activation Required" set-up screen.
3. Quit out of ALL running apps in the task switcher except for one (Notes app is fine).
4. Navigate to General->Cellular. Make sure Cellular Data button is set to on.
5. Open the SIM card tray and swap in the T-Mobile SIM.
6. Give it a moment to activate (it will boot you back to general), and then in General->Cellular, a menu called Cellular Data Network will appear, (below Data Roaming and above Personal Hotspot).
7. Quickly tap into the menu option and you will notice that all of the cellular setting fields are blank.
8. Once you get into that menu, immediately double tap the home button and switch to your previously opened Notes app.

(Steps 6 and 7: Sometimes your iPhone will jump to the set-up screen and not let you continue, or shoot an error with that T-Mobile SIM. If this happens, eject the SIM, put in your straight talk SIM and open Settings, (hopefully you will still be in the Cellular Data Network menu). This could take a few tries, depending on how quick you are.)

9. While in Notes, swap out the T-Mobile SIM and replace with your Straight Talk SIM. Wait in the Notes app until you see "HOME" as your carrier logo. Could take a few minutes.
10. Double-tap home and switch back to Settings, you should still be in the Cellular Data Network menu.
11. Input the following information into the right places.

NEW OFFICIAL APN SETTINGS:

Cellular Data:
Username:
Password:

MMS:
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS UA Prof URL:

OLD APN SETTINGS (may work for some phones):
Cellular Data:
Username:
Password:

MMS:
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS UA Prof URL:

12. Once you confirm the info is correct, exit the Cellular Data Network menu by tapping "Cellular". Do NOT tap Reset Settings, as this will obviously reset the input settings to default. The Cellular Data Network menu option will have vanished from General->Cellular. This is normal and should be of no concern.

Reboot your phone, delete any failed sent MMS messages. All MMS/Data should now be working. Could take a moment to become fully active.

If this does not work the first time, then start over and repeat the process. Double and Triple check your settings before exiting anything.

Help insanelyi Out!

Like our repo, forum and everything that's involved? Every feature needs financial assistance to continue it's daily ongoing function. We ask you to Donate or purchase VIP whenever possible. Every little bit helps. Thank You ).gif

Chris

Chris

Bazinga

• Administrator
  • 4,918 Posts

So after my long battle last night after I restored to 6.1 on my 4s. My MMS wasn't working. This lead me into a search long into the night trying to get it working. No go on all. Granted the last method (SIM card swap) I didn't have access to a T-Mobile SIM. So I saved the page and did that at work. Confirmed working 100% on my device :)

I went through and redid this thread with more info, and a better layout. I hope the info helps you out the way it helped me.

Help insanelyi Out!

mikuska

mikuska
  • 1 Posts

I need help...i am with Att and i want to convert to straight talk and keep my phone but the walmart guy told me it wasnt possibly. Any ideas?

Redouanfaka

Redouanfaka
  • 5 Posts

cool man