Photo

iPhone 4s @IOS 5.1.1 - unable to restore to 5.1.1 (redsn0w)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

agony

agony
  • 4 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4S
  • Firmware:5.1.1
Guys,
I'm rather new to the jailbreak stuff... anyway,I successfully did it on 5.0, 5.1 and 5.1.1.
Now, my 4s is showing strange behaviour sometimes (newly installed Apps start, after a day they don't start any more), so I'm thinking of a new clean re-install of IOS 5.1.1. I think that strange behaviour started when I installed protect my privacy, I removed it but the starting problems persist.
However, I worked my way through various HowTo's and Youtube-Vids giving me a good idea what it's about using redsn0w.

What do i have:
- I saved the SHSH-Blobs using Tiny Umbrella. They are also avail via Cydia. (IOS 5.0, 5.1, 5.1.1 - verified with redsn0w)
- I got the IOS restore-Files for IOS 5.1.1 (and 6.0)
- I got the latest version of redsn0w (09.14.b2)
- forgot my changed root-PW,so had to reset it to default (alpine, checked with Mobile Terminal)

What's the problem:
- redsn0w does not give the option to use local blobs instead of remote
- when starting the IPSW restore, everything goes fine, it gets the blobs, stitches the IPSW, puts the phone into recovery mode and then it just quits with an error window giving no text. Just a yellow triangle with the exclamation mark.

Questions:
- Is there a way to "force" redsnow to use local blobs? The field cannot be selected... where do I need to copy the SHSHs to for redsn0w to find it?
- Any idea what may cause the IPSW installation abort? There is no error code given...
- Already tried to start redsn0w as Admin, did not solve the problem (Win 7, 64bit, latest patches)

Your assistance would be very much appreciated.
Don't want to upgrade to IOS 6... or would that be an option? Update to IOS6 using iTunes, then restore to 5.1.1 using redsn0w? But from my current understanding it should be possible to restore IOS 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 with redsn0w....

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,695 Posts
  • Twitter:@insanelyi
  • iDevice:iPhone 5
  • Firmware:7.0.6
Currently you cannot restore an iPhone 4S to any firmware other than the latest 6.0 regardless of any sort of SHSH blobs.

Once the dev team releases this "new" version of redsn0w you will be able to restore the 4S to the current firmware that is on the device.

Example: if the iPhone 4S is on firmware 5.1.1 you will be able to restore 5.1.1 if you have SHSH blobs. Or if the device is on 5.0.1 you will be able to restore 5.0.1 if you have SHSH blobs.

You cannot downgrade from 6.0 to 5.x though I'm sorry..

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

agony

agony
  • 4 Posts
Thx 4 ur reply, I know that. I am currently running IOS 5.1.1 on my device. And I want to re-install 5.1.1. I do not have IOS 6 installed.

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,695 Posts

Thx 4 ur reply, I know that. I am currently running IOS 5.1.1 on my device. And I want to re-install 5.1.1. I do not have IOS 6 installed.

As I said above, at this time you cannot do that. Before Apple stopped signing 5.1.1 the dev team had a version of redsn0w which allowed you to restore 5.1.1 when the signing window closed this no longer works... that window has been closed a while ago. Your only option is wait until dev team releases this new redsn0w which will allow you use restore 5.1.1 on your iPhone 4S

Make sense ?

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

agony

agony
  • 4 Posts
yep, makes sense. So this is a big misunderstanding (I'm german). I thought it would be possible to revert if I have the SHSHs.
I know the window is closed, so I will need to live with what I got until either a IOS6 JB is available or there is a way to restore IOS 5.1.1 for A5-devices...
is there any ETA for the new redsn0w?

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,695 Posts

yep, makes sense. So this is a big misunderstanding (I'm german). I thought it would be possible to revert if I have the SHSHs.
I know the window is closed, so I will need to live with what I got until either a IOS6 JB is available or there is a way to restore IOS 5.1.1 for A5-devices...
is there any ETA for the new redsn0w?

Things are a lot different with A5 devices vs A4 devices.

But yes that's correct. Here's some info for you:

iPad3, i4S (and iPad2 owners who don’t satisfy #2) will always be able to RE-restore the current 5.x OS that’s already on their device. So if you’re at 5.1.1 when the window closes (and you’ve saved your blobs), you’ll always be able to RE-restore to 5.1.1 again. This makes the 5.1.1 jailbreak a lot less fragile — you don’t have to worry about messing up your install with funky extensions or getting into a boot loop, because you can always RE-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 again (or from 5.0.1 to 5.0.1 again, etc). But once you fall off the 5.x train by restoring to 6.x, you’ll be stuck there until the next jailbreak.

Via Dev Team Blog

@MuscleNerd tweeted this 12 hours ago

@Bangingurdaz I'm working as fast as I can :) (for free!) ... mostly testing though, so redsn0w doesn't cause more problems than it solves

So you'll need to stay where you are until we have a re-restore solution. And DO NOT upgrade to iOS6 or you will not be able to downgrade.

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

agony

agony
  • 4 Posts
I knew the info already, but thx for the update rgd redsn0w.
Now it's perfectly clear - thought I could re-restore already to 5.1.1.
Thanks for the clarification.

einstein69

einstein69
  • VIP
  • 2 Posts
  • Firmware:5.0.1
If your iphone is giving you performance issues, you can uninstall mobile substract. This will uninstall everything you installed via Cydia and clean your phone. Then, you just need to install again with care the stuff you want. No need to restore.

PAUL1974

PAUL1974
  • 190 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4
  • Firmware:4.2.6
dose this also apply to to iphone4?ive been trying to restore 5.1.1 to the same,ive stitched my blobs to the ips file and tried shift restore in itunes,i get 1604 error (usb error)the cord and laptop havent had a problem syncing to itunes,dose this mean the laptop and cord are not the problem?i also disabled firewall,where am i going wrong?

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,695 Posts

dose this also apply to to iphone4?ive been trying to restore 5.1.1 to the same,ive stitched my blobs to the ips file and tried shift restore in itunes,i get 1604 error (usb error)the cord and laptop havent had a problem syncing to itunes,dose this mean the laptop and cord are not the problem?i also disabled firewall,where am i going wrong?

No this does not apply to the iPhone 4. I would suggest making your own thread for that or things will start to get confusing here.

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

ashmiho

ashmiho
  • 5 Posts
hi insanelyi. how about iphone4.. same problem. my iphone stuck on apple logo and i have shsh blob save. when i google it to solve this and i follow the instructions the number of error are showing it up. can you give sort of advice to solve my problem. thnx my ios 5.1.1. . thank you. (i spent 3hours to solve this.but nothin)

Black Hippy

Black Hippy

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,220 Posts
  • Firmware:7.0.4
First what error are you getting?

1399784773__f0yvmh.jpg

ashmiho

ashmiho
  • 5 Posts
11,1600,1603,12,1394 error itunes

The Elite

The Elite
  • VIP
  • 3,098 Posts
  • iDevice:iPad Mini
  • Firmware:7.1.2
Download shsh from TinyUmbrella. Use redsn0w 0.9.14b2 and stitch it to a stock iOS 5.1.1 firmware. Navigate to C:Windows/System32/drivers/etc and edit the hosts file so there is nothing with gs.apple.com in it. Then put your iDevice in pwned dfu mode with redsn0w. Then shift restore to the stitched firmware and should work well.

Donations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

btn_donate_LG.gif

bernabe69

bernabe69
  • 2 Posts
@ashmiho, @PAUL1974: dont forget to put your iPhone 4 in Pwned DFU mode before hitting shift+restore or command+restore. you can easily do that in Redsn0w v0.9.14b2. Of course, you have to stitch the blob to the original ipsw first using the same tool.

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,695 Posts
Unless you have an iPhone 4S please make your own thread.

One device you can restore the other you cannot right now. Lets keep it simple. If you have an iPhone 4 make a new thread.

Next iPhone 4 support question in this 4S thread I'll be forced to lock it.

Thank you.

P.S thanks for the negative reps on my above post. I'll remember that the next time you need help restoring :/

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

Rev0l2ti0n

Rev0l2ti0n
  • VIP
  • 247 Posts
  • Firmware:2.0

1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4
2. Ensure you have your SHSH saved thru redsn0w
3. Go to the restore option under extras.
4. Redsn0w will kick your iPhone into restore and fail out.
5. Put 4s into DFU and try again, once again it will fail out.
6. Reboot into recovery mode and try again. This time it should go through and start the re-restore process.

If you get an "invalid ramdisk error" after step 6, just acknowledge it and hit remote again.

Over on Sinful, they say that this works.

48061.gif42239.gif

46674.gif42786.gif

ronsom

ronsom
  • 2 Posts
Not sure if this helps.. but just a tip if you don't want to loose all of your data juggling between OS versions while flashing with redsn0w; get a backup recovery software first, so that all of your data is backed up. You don't even need to do a restore then as you'd have all of you data on your computer in human readable format.

There are a couple of backup recovery softwares you can go for:-I've used the Total Saver one personally, so can recommend that.. not sure about others

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,695 Posts

You can now restore your 4s to 5.x firmware now with the new redsn0w. Information regarding that can be found here http://insanelyi.com...reinvigoration/

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

ronsom

ronsom
  • 2 Posts

You can now restore your 4s to 5.x firmware now with the new redsn0w. Information regarding that can be found here http://insanelyi.com...reinvigoration/

This is awesome!! Thanls for the heads up :cheers: