Photo

How 7o: Speed Up Your iPhone2G/3G/3GS/4 & iPod1G/2G/3G/4 by Removing LaunchDaemons

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts
  • iDevice:iPod Touch 2G
  • Firmware:4.2

I am not responsible should you go wrong when you attempt these tweaks.
I will try as hard as i can to help you find a solution.
If you follow all the instructions properly nothing will go wrong.

What you need:
A way to browse your iOS filesystem:
WinSCP for SSH Users
iFunBox for afc2add users.
Or iFile
You can use any SSH client you prefer but i prefer iFunbox as it is free and does not require me to install OpenSSH

NOTE: FOR EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY! I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON MY OWN iDEVICE! I RECOMMEND MAKING BACKUPS OF FILES THAT YOU EDIT IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG

I dont really feel the need for a speed boost, but im sure that some of our members with spare devices might like to tinker around. Please dont attempt this unless you have a spare device lying around. Do not use this for newer iDevices as they are fast enough already. Only devices to benefit from this would be iPod touch 1G/2G and iPhone 2G/3G. If you would like a speed boost without removing LaunchDaemons, check out iOverclock. I havent tested it myself.
The speed boost recieved wil also depend on your mobilesubstrate addons.

What is a LaunchDaemon?

In Unix and other computer multitasking operating systems, a daemon is a computer program that runs in the background, rather than under the direct control of a user; they are usually initiated as background processes

[Via Wikipedia]

What exactly does it mean for us speed hungry end users? Your iPhone or iPod loads many background processes whenever it is on. These daemons allow you to for example connect to the internet, send text messeges etc. Since there in the background, they take up your devices RAM. This is one of the reasons that we can never get the 128mb RAM inside our older gen devices and instead we normally stick around 50. This means that around 70mb is being used my the device itself for the os and also background processes. Normally, we could use SBSettings to kill them but since there System processes this cant be achieved and if it were allowed there would be many people who screw up there devices and complain.
A good thing is, that alot of these daemons are completely useless and can be removed without any hassle. You can delete them and reclaim the ram that they take.

Before we attempt this, it is a good idea to make backups of the files we are editing. Go onto /System/Library and look for the LaunchDaemons folder. Copy it and rename it LaunchDaemons.bak or backup or whatever. Make a backup on your desktop just to be safe if your using a SSH method.

Open the LaunchDaemons folder. To remove a daemon, simply delete it. You do not need to make a backup of every daemon you delete. Just backup the entire folder to save time.

Some of the daemons are unsafe to delete, i will list each and every one and the catergory it comes under.
Please read the full description for the daemon before you think about deleting it. I'll remind you one last time - backup launchdaemons folder

Safe Daemons
These can be deleted for any user without any negative effects.

com.apple.DumpPanic.plist - Dumps crashes for evaluation by Apple.
com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist - There are 6 of these daemons, and they collect data about what caused a crash, what programs were running at the time, etc.
com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist - Dumps baseband crashes, which shouldn't happen during normal use. iPod touch users don't even have a baseband.
com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist - Also deals with crashes.
com.apple.aslmanager.plist - This daemon manages system logs.
com.apple.syslogd.plist - Logs system events.
com.apple.powerlog.plist - This is used to monitor any incompatibilities with 3rd party chargers.
com.apple.stackshot.server.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device.
com.apple.chud.chum.plist - This daemon is thought to relate to Apple's CHUD (Computer Hardware Understanding Developer) tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist - This daemon is also thought to relate to Apple's CHUD tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
com.apple.psctl.plist - No definitive information about this daemon is currently available, but it's believed that it deals with connecting external storage devices, possibly a feature coming in new iDevices. It doesn't do anything for now, though, so feel free to delete it.
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.en0.plist - Logs push notification errors.
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.pdp_ip0.plist - Also believed to log push notification errors.
com.apple.wapic.plist - Affects Chinese WiFi networks.. Remove this daemon if you don't live in China.
com.apple.marcoagent.plist - Logs errors with Wireless connections(Failed to join network "*****")
com.apple.marco.tcdump.ec0.plist - I removed this on my iPod touch 2G without any side effects. Not sure of it's purpose, but likely linked with the macroagent.plist

Conditional Daemons
These daemons can only be deleted by users who dont need a feature without bad effects.

com.apple.searchd.plist - Disables Spotlight search if removed. The Spotlight page will still be there, but nothing will show up when you start typing. Disable this daemon if you don't use Spotlight.
com.apple.AddressBook.plist - If removed, Contacts in the Phone application will load slightly slower. Disable this if you don't care about that.
com.apple.accessoryd.plist - If removed, disables accessories like FM radio transmitters, iPhone docks, and AV cables. Accessories will be able to charge your device, but that is all they will be able to do. Remove this if you don't use any of these accessories.
com.apple.apsd.plist - If removed, Push Notifications will no longer work. Disable this if you don't use Push Notifications.
com.apple.iapd.plist - Functions like com.apple.accessoryd.plist. A users guess is that it deals with accessories that also come with companion apps.
com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist - If removed, contacts will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services.
com.apple.datamigrator.plist - Used to transfer contacts from SIM card to phone. iPod touch users can delete this.
com.apple.racoon.plist - Used for Virtual Private Networks. Disable this daemon if you do not use any VPNs.
com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist - Used for Internet Tethering. Disable this if you have an iPod touch or if you aren't interested in tethering.
com.apple.AOSNotification.plist - This daemon deals with MobileMe syncing. If you do not use the MobileMe service, you can disable this.
com.apple.AdminLite.plist - This daemon tries to return control of your device to you if it thinks that you are waiting for a lengthly process to respond. It does this by force-quitting the process, so if you're tired of your apps crashing and you would rather wait a few seconds for them to finish what they're doing, disable this daemon.
com.apple.graphicsservices.sample.plist - Thought to have something to do with displaying album artwork. I've deleted it on my iPod and everything still works fine, but some people have encountered problems.
com.apple.UIKit.pasteboardd.plist - I believe that this daemon deals with copy/paste. If you don't find yourself using copy/paste, you can disable this daemon.
com.apple.mobile.obliteration.plist - This daemon wipes the data partition of your device. This will be used if you remotely wipe your phone via Exchange, or if you use Settings > General > Reset, or if you set your device to wipe itself after a certain number of failed passcode entries. If you don't use these features, you can delete this daemon.
com.apple.scrod.plist - This daemon deals with Voice Control. If you don't use Voice Control, you can delete this daemon.
com.apple.VoiceOverTouch - Another Voice Control daemon.
com.apple.voiced - Yet another Voice Control daemon.
com.apple.mobile.profile_janitor.plist - This daemon apparently deals with provisioning profiles for ad-hoc app distribution. If that doesn't apply to you, or if you have no idea what that is, you can delete this daemon.
com.apple.gamed.plist - GameCenter's way to look for friend requests and game invites. If you do not use GameCenter, delete this daemon.
com.apple.mediaremoted - Allows the music buttons to be used to control 3rd Party apps(I.e. Pandora) Remove if you don't use the controls for apps.
com.apple.calaccessed.plist - Allows the music buttons to be used to control 3rd Party apps(I.e. Pandora) Remove if you don't use the controls for apps.
com.apple.mediacontrold.plist - Music controls. Disabling this will disable backgrounded music controls, but you can still listen to music.
com.apple.mediaremoted.alt.plistMusic controls. Disabling this will disable backgrounded music controls, but you can still listen to music
com.apple.livetrace.plist - MobileMe tracking daemons. Delete this if you dont use MobileMe.
com.apple.search.appindexer.plist - Indexes apps when they are installed so you can search them. Delete if you dont want that or dont use spotlight at all.
com.apple.printd.plist - Disables AirPrint feaure. Remove if you dont use AirPrint

Device Specific Daemons
These daemons depend on your device. Be sure before you remove these from your device

com.apple.CommCenter.plist - Deals with making and receiving phone calls and connecting to the cellular data network. iPod touch users and wifi-only iPad users (confirmed on the first-gen iPod, assumed on all the others) can delete this daemon with no adverse effects. iPhone and iPad 3G users should not delete this daemon under any circumstances.
com.apple.awd_ice2.plist – **4.0 Only** This daemon has NOT been tested and it is believed to put lmits on the iPhone 3G+3G[S] Hardware. I am not sure why these limits are in place, but it is for a reason. NOT TESTED, proceed at your own risk.
com.apple.awd_ice3.plist - Only affects the iPhone 4. It's not known what its function is on the iPhone 4, however, so remove it at your own risk.
com.apple.aggregated.plist - It is believed that this performs some function related to Audio-In. If you have an iPod touch and do not intend to use Audio-In, disable this. iPhone users should leave this alone.
com.apple.CommCenterMobileHelper.plist - Believed to do something with Cellular Data activation... Remove if you do not have use Cellular data or do not have a iPhone.
com.apple.CommCenterRootHelper.plist - Believed to do something with Cellular Data activation... Remove if you do not have use Cellular data or do not have a iPhone.
com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist - Believed to do something with FaceTime connections... Remove if you do not have a FaceTime enabled device

Leave alone!These daemons should be left alone! Removing one could have fatal effects and are crucial to your device!

com.apple.fairplayd.plist - This checks the DRM on your legitimately-acquired music and apps.
com.apple.installd.plist - Deals with app installation.
com.apple.BTServer.plist - If this daemon is disabled, your device will become extremely slow and unresponsive.
com.apple.configd+pm.plist - Deals with system configuration.
com.apple.configd-pm.plist - Also deals with system configuration.
com.apple.gmmd.plist - A debugging service for your device.
com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist - DNS. Disable this, and your Internet is completely gone.
com.apple.locationd.plist - Deals with GPS and location.
com.apple.mediaserverd.plist - Plays your music and videos.
com.apple.usbptpd.plist - Allows your device to connect to your computer and charge.
com.apple.mtmergeprops.plist - Appears to have something to do with the touchscreen. After I deleted a user deleted this his screen became unresponsive. This is why you make backups!
com.apple.SCHelper-embedded.plist - Appears to be a part of the SystemConfiguration framework, so I don't recommend deleting it. If some brave soul wants to try it, go ahead and report back.
com.apple.SpringBoard.plist - This daemon ensures that SpringBoard launches when you turn your device on. Without this daemon, SpringBoard will not launch. Also, this daemon ensures that you are able to respring your device. If you disable this daemon and attempt to respring, the SpringBoard process will be killed but will not start again.
com.apple.mobile.lockbot.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but several users have removed it and have had to restore as a result. However, I think it's worth noting that a user has removed it on his ipod touch 1g without aide effects. For the time being, however, leave this daemon alone.
com.apple.mobile.Lockdown.plist - Deals with SIM and network authorization. iPod touch users, even though this daemon seems like it deals with iPhone-only operations, have still had to restore after deleting this daemon. A user has removed this daemon on a first-gen iPod touch and have encountered no problems, but apparently I'm the only one who has been this lucky.
com.apple.itdbprep.plist - Based on the name, this has something to do with syncing music to your device.
com.apple.itunesstored - Messing with this daemon will cause it to use 100% of your device's CPU periodically. Leave it alone.

Jailbreaking daemons

Daemons installed by jailbreak apps

com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist - This is what drives virtual memory (VM) mods. Delete this daemon only if you want to uninstall any VM hacks you have on your device.
com.bigboss.sbsettingsd.plist - Related to SBSettings. I would suggest leaving it alone.
com.imalc.insomnia.plist - Used to keep Insomnia running through resprings and reboots. If you don't want it to do that, disable this.
com.mxweas.MxT2d.plist - The daemon that allows MxTube to download videos in the background. If disabled, the application will need to be reinstalled; however, if you don't use MxTube and are too lazy to uninstall it, you can disable this daemon.
com.saurik.Cydia.Startup.plist - It's believed that this daemon deals with the AutoInstall trick for installing .deb files. If you don't know what that is and you don't use it, you can disable this daemon.
com.saltinbas.free.mem.plist - This daemon is part of the Repeat Memory Free hack that's been floating around lately. Disable this if you no longer want your memory to be freed automatically.
org.nodomain.scrobbled.plist - The Scrobbler daemon. Disable this if you don't want your music scrobbled anymore.
com.SPC.SuperCharged.plist - The SuperCharged daemon, which is a virtual memory mod from Cydia. Don't delete this if you want to keep using SuperCharged.
food.plist - Installed by Comex's Frash plugin. This daemon most likely allows the interpretation of Flash content on webpages.
com.apple.lsd.plist - Something to do with mobilesubstrate. I recommend not touching it.

Unknown daemons

The functions of these daemons are unknown. Proceed with caution.

com.apple.daily.plist - Nothing is currently known about this daemon, except that it is programmed to perform a certain function once a day. Removing this daemon has had no adverse effects on one users device
com.apple.iqagent.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has had no adverse effects on my device.
com.apple.storage_mounter.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but it is believed that it deals with a possibly upcoming iOS feature that will allow you to use your iPhone or iPod touch in disk mode. However, for the time being it does nothing and can be safely deleted.
com.apple.adlibd.plist
com.apple.profilepolicyd.plist
com.apple.assetsd.plist
com.apple.certui.relay.plist
com.apple.configd.plist
com.apple.locate.plist
com.apple.managedconfiguration.mdmd.plist
com.apple.managedconfiguration.profiled.plist
com.apple.macrco.tcdump.ec0.plist
com.apple.mdt.plist
com.apple.midiserver.plist
com.apple.mobile.keybagd.plist
com.apple.notifyd.plist
com.apple.sanboxd.plist
com.apple.securekeyvaultd.plist
com.apple.securityd.plist

Please follow this tutorial properly. If a daemon is not mentioned here leave it alone. iOS 4 may have added some new daemons so don't mess with one not in this list. Musclenerd has said that using Spirit also makes it's own launch daemon so please be careful. Please post your devices reactions below so you can help other users to choose.

This tutorial was written using information here. I do not claim this to be mine but i did rewrite it in my own words using the information. Please give credit to the OP on iPodtouchfans for his excellent post. Also thanks to picklejw of iPodtouchfans, xXrkidXx of Hackulous and MistaBishi for additional information.

Check out my How 7o's! Need any support? Just send me a messege and i'll help you to the best on my ability.

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts

Updates 30/11/10

Safe daemons:

com.apple.wapic.plist - Affects Chinese WiFi networks.. Remove this daemon if you don't live in China.
com.apple.marcoagent.plist - Logs errors with Wireless connections(Failed to join network "*****")

Conditional daemons:

com.apple.gamed.plist - GameCenter's way to look for friend requests and game invites. If you do not use GameCenter, delete this daemon.
com.apple.mediaremoted - Allows the music buttons to be used to control 3rd Party apps(I.e. Pandora) Remove if you don't use the controls for apps.
com.apple.calaccessed.plist - Allows the music buttons to be used to control 3rd Party apps(I.e. Pandora) Remove if you don't use the controls for apps.

Device specific daemons:

com.apple.CommCenterMobileHelper.plist - Believed to do something with Cellular Data activation... Remove if you do not have use Cellular data or do not have a iPhone.
com.apple.CommCenterRootHelper.plist - Believed to do something with Cellular Data activation... Remove if you do not have use Cellular data or do not have a iPhone.

Updates 07/12/10

com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist - Believed to do something with FaceTime connections... Remove if you do not have a FaceTime enabled device

Unknown daemons

The functions of these daemons are unknown. Proceed with caution.

com.apple.adlibd.plist
com.appleprofilepolicyd.plist
com.apple.assetsd.plist
com.apple.configd.plist
com.apple.livetrace.plist
com.apple.locate.plist
com.apple.lsd.plist
com.apple.mdt.plist
com.apple.mediacontrold.plist
com.apple.mediaremoted.alt.plist

com.apple.notifyd.plist
com.apple.printd.plist
com.apple.sanboxd.plist
com.apple.search.appindexer.plist

Updates 11/12/10

Conditional daemons:

com.apple.mediacontrold.plist - Music controls. Disabling this will disable backgrounded music controls, but you can still listen to music.
com.apple.mediaremoted.alt.plistMusic controls. Disabling this will disable backgrounded music controls, but you can still listen to music
com.apple.livetrace.plist - MobileMe tracking daemons. Delete this if you dont use MobileMe.
com.apple.search.appindexer.plist - Indexes apps when they are installed so you can search them. Delete if you dont want that or dont use spotlight at all.
com.apple.printd.plist - Disables AirPrint feaure. Remove if you dont use AirPrint

Jailbreaking daemons

com.apple.lsd.plist - Something to do with mobilesubstrate. I recommend not touching it.

Updates 12/12/10

Device specific daemons:

com.apple.awd_ice2.plist – **4.0 Only** This daemon has NOT been tested and it is believed to put lmits on the iPhone 3G+3G[S] Hardware. I am not sure why these limits are in place, but it is for a reason. NOT TESTED, proceed at your own risk.

Updates 24/12/10

Safe daemons:

Check out my How 7o's! Need any support? Just send me a messege and i'll help you to the best on my ability.

c0ff33

c0ff33

Siri's Pimp

• VIP
  • 627 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 5
  • Firmware:6.1
7urismo you are on fire at the moment, I'm loving all these high quality tutorials it's going save people loads of time hunting the information out on their own.

iPhone 5 64gb - 6.1 Evasi0n
iPod Touch 4g 8gb - 6.1 - Evasi0n
iPod Touch 4g 32gb - 6.1

iPad Mini 32gb - 6.1
iPad 2 32gb WiFi - 5.1 Absinthe
Macbook Air MC965B/A i5 4gb Ram 128gb SSD 10.8 Mountain Lion
Dell Mini 10V tablet mod / Dell XPS 17 - both dual booting Windows 7 / OSX / Lion
2160502.png

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts
Thanks man, it took 2 hours to finally finish fixing that damn BBCode

iduzzz

iduzzz

Lurker

• 1 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4
  • Firmware:4.1
Hey man thank you for this amaizing tutorial. Im using iphone about 2 years and till now i didnt find any tutorial like this...thnx again

smsjrtato

smsjrtato

Retired..

• VIP
  • 440 Posts
  • iDevice:iPod Touch 4
  • Firmware:4.3.2
thanks ima try this.

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts
Don't forget how much RAM you'll have free after this will also depend on your mobilesubstrateaddons

smsjrtato

smsjrtato

Retired..

• VIP
  • 440 Posts
  • Firmware:4.3.2
i have a ipod 2g always @ 40 without any apps in background highest i ever seen it is like around 60 for a couple of minutes, and after i deleted this daemons which i never use its now @ 44 a tiny bit faster but what do you expect its a 2g. thanks turismo very helpful threadPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 18,373 Posts
  • Twitter:@insanelyi
  • Firmware:7.0.6
Thanks. There is a similar thread, but you document this better with 'how to'

Also to make life way easier you can use 'Daemon Tool' on repo which is way easier and can customize any daemons you want :teehee:

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

Irish_Man

Irish_Man

Elite

• Platinum
  • 1,197 Posts
  • Firmware:7.0.4
I've erased all green (Safe) Deamons, but 2 of them i don't have on the list at all...???

-com.apple.stackshot.server.plist

com.apple.psctl.plist
Posted Image

50% Irish - - God Created Alcohol So The Irish Wouldn't Rule The World - - 100% Drunk

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts
Hmm... That's odd but since there both safe daemons its okay.

@Sull I forgot about the remove daemons package on Cydia :P All my work for nothing :P

iph0nesandip0ds

iph0nesandip0ds

THE MASTER

• VIP
  • 676 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4
  • Firmware:5.0
daemons may be added or removed by apple with upgrade to 4.1
Posted Image
iPhone 4 32gb IOS 4.1 GP
iPhone 4s 16gb IOS 6.0 b4 stock
iPhone 3gs 16GB IOS 4.1 GP

amd fx 8150 asus M5A78L nvidia gf gtx 550 ti water cooled gaming pc

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts
I have removed the deamons myself. I removed the safe ones, and a couple of conditional ones for my device. The boot times are still the same (55-60seconds), but I have much more RAM available to me.

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts

Updates 30/11/10

Safe daemons:

Conditional daemons:

Device specific daemons:

i have removed com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist because im not sure about where it should go. I will leave it under 'Leave alone' daemons for now. I will investigate further

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts
com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist has been moved to device specific

Here are some daemons present in the LaunchDaemons folder, but their features are still unknown. They will be listed under unknown daemons, but here they are anyway.

com.apple.adlibd.plist
com.appleprofilepolicyd.plist
com.apple.assetsd.plist
com.apple.configd.plist
com.apple.livetrace.plist
com.apple.locate.plist
com.apple.lsd.plist
com.apple.mdt.plist
com.apple.mediacontrold.plist
com.apple.mediaremoted.alt.plist
com.apple.notifyd.plist
com.apple.printd.plist
com.apple.sanboxd.plist
com.apple.search.appindexer.plist

As you can see, there is ALOT so i would appreciate any information you could give.

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts

Updates 11/12/10

Conditional daemons:

Jailbreaking daemons

MistaBishi

MistaBishi

Apple Addict

• VIP
  • 676 Posts
  • Firmware:5.1.1
Info on a LaunchDameon;
MacBook Pro | 13 inch | i5 @2.3ghz | 4GB RAM | 320GB HDD | 10.6.6
iPhone 3GS | iBoot-359.3 | iOS 4.2.1 | pwnagetool | ultrasn0w
iPod Touch 4 8GB | iBoot-574.4 | iOS 4.3 | No JB
iPod Touch 4 8GB | iBoot-574.4 | iOS 4.3 | No JB
iPod Touch 2G 8GB | iBoot-240.5.1 | iOS 4.1 | greenpois0n

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts

Updates 12/12/10

Device specific daemons:

7urismo

7urismo

Dedicated

• 188 Posts

Updates 24/12/10

Safe daemons:

I successfully removed the above daemon on my ipod touch, and every worked. I do not know what it is for, but i believe it is linked with the macrcoagent daemon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users