Photo

How do I update to ios7 and remove my jailbreak

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dasillysalamander6

Dasillysalamander6
  • 5 Posts
I have a jailbrocken iPhone and I want to update. I figured just updating would do the trick but it was "checking for update" forever. So I figured it was impossible to do it that way. Does anyone know how to update without lossing all my music that wasn't bought through iTunes?

Dark Energy

Dark Energy

• VIP
  • 1,262 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 5
  • Firmware:7.1.2

Evasion jailbreak disables OTA update that's why you're not able to see the update in your device. It will also cause boot loop when you update OTA if you're jailbroken.

Update/Restore through iTunes. It will remove anything that's not legally purchase. If your music are also in iTunes, then it will not be remove during update/restore. Just make sure to create a backup.

1394440772__signature.gif

Dasillysalamander6

Dasillysalamander6
  • 5 Posts

Evasion jailbreak disables OTA update that's why you're not able to see the update in your device. It will also cause boot loop when you update OTA if you're jailbroken.

Update/Restore through iTunes. It will remove anything that's not legally purchase. If your music are also in iTunes, then it will not be remove during update/restore. Just make sure to create a backup.

But is there anyway to backup my music without lossing all of it?

Dark Energy

Dark Energy

• VIP
  • 1,262 Posts

All your music are downloaded directly through your device? Or you have it on iTunes [PC] & you just sync it to transfer to your device?

mbamba

mbamba
  • 2 Posts

I tried to update OTA and now have the reboot loop.  I can't restore in iTunes as I get an "unknown error".  What should I do?  Thanks!

Socrates

Socrates

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,038 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 5S
  • Firmware:7.0.6

enter dfu mode and you iphone will show up as "recovery mode" in itunes, simply update + restore and viola, good to go. BTW to answer you music issue, when you back up via the cloud I believe all your music is saved in the cloud data base and when you upgrade you just "restore from icloud backup" and it should make your phone almost identical to what it used to be

mbamba

mbamba
  • 2 Posts
Thanks. I've entered DFU mode and am able to start the restore in iTunes. It runs for a while and finally gives the unknown error message. Any other ideas?

Dark Energy

Dark Energy

• VIP
  • 1,262 Posts

Thanks. I've entered DFU mode and am able to start the restore in iTunes. It runs for a while and finally gives the unknown error message. Any other ideas?

What error did you encounter? Make sure you have the latest iTunes installed [iTunes 11.1].

You can download iOS 7.0 IPSW for your device then use Shift+Restore[Win]/Option+Restore[Mac] method to restore.