• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 3G
  • Firmware:4.2.1

Posted Image

Everyones devices gets a little sluggish after a bit, months and months of adding useless crap and themes and tweaks. This is a quick tutorial to help you clean out your iDevice, it's spring right? Time to do some cleaning.

Tip #1
Download the Cydia app, Backgrounder. Go into the options and have it set so that all applications will quit when you exit them. Feel free to add overrides for apps like Phone, iPod, Cydia etc. This stops you from having a whole bunch of apps running in the background when you are trying to do other things, it also frees up a lot of memory for you to use at your disposal

Tip #2

Download the Cydia app, MyOS. You can turn off the Contacts app as its already in your Phone app. Voice control can be turned off to as who really uses it? Multitasking can be switched off to, as it's a large cause of battery drain, sluggishness in iDevices.

Tip #3

Download the Cydia app, Folderenhancer. Turn off folder backgrounds and borders. Cuts out the lag when trying to open up your folders, it's pretty much instant after this.

Tip #4

Download the Cydia app, FakeClockup. And set the phone animations speed to 10x. It gives a lag-free feel to the phone, as everything is so much more faster. It will really shine when you have everything else setup.

Tip #5

I rarely ever use my spotlight search feature, so I used the Cydia app, nospot, to get rid of this. Works really well for iPhone 3G users.

Tip #6

Winterboard themes are a big memory user on your iDevice. I like to keep things somewhat simple when it comes to themes, but if I don't want it on, I take off every theme. No lock screen, no keypad theme or keyboards etc. Cutting back on the themes that have a lot of widgets helps to.

Tip #7

Auto3G is a great app that will save you a lot of battery life if you aren't a power user for texting, or gaming etc. When you shut off your phone, it sets your network to 2G and when you turn your phone back on it sets it to 3G.

Tip #8

Download the tweak from the Insanelyi repo called Daemon Tool. It automatically deletes all the Launch Daemons that are not needed by your iDevice. I recommend this package as it does not require you to SSH into your phone, and is completely automated. Don't worry about your phone, it'll be just fine.

kendellrt

kendellrt

Dalek Supreme

• VIP
  • 1,000 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 5S
  • Firmware:7.0.4
This really isn't a bad guide. I don't think I agree with setting FakeClockUp to 10, because it makes some of the animations look absolutely silly, especially the jiggling icons in edit mode. I have switched over to the newest version of Speed Intensifier (v4.7) to try in place of FakeClockUp. It seems to more consistent as far as speeding up the ui animations across the board, rather than just with system animations. In fact, I has made a HUGE difference on my wife's 3G. We were running FakeClockUp on it, but with the new SI, it's like a new phone! The SI add on doesn't appear to make a difference to me. It says that it removes a factory underclock that Apple puts on their devices, but all it did for me was burn my battery super fast with no noticeable enhancement. I love the Folder Enhancer suggestion. A lot of themes support FE backgrounds, but doing it as you are recommending sure speeds the folders up! I think it looks cool when I tap on a folder and it opens with just the name on top and my sb wallpaper behind it, sans border or background image. It's just as cool as a theme, in my opinion. I do like the multitasking features on my phone, but i use Backgrounder to help decide how I will do it. Some apps can get killed when minimized, some are setup using native iOS backgrounding, and I have the rest setup to use backgrounding (if not natively supported, or to force it) only when I short hold the home button. It enables backgrounding and minimizes the app. Basically, all I am doing is using the native iOS unless I really want an app to stay open or close immediately. I close backgrounded apps via Multifl0w Expose view and the red x, so not much is running in the background at all. Another one I have heard about for managing memory is Daemon Tool. Do you know much about Daemon Tool? I've hesitated to install it because I'm not sure if I need any of the daemons that it shuts off. I've used NoSpot, but later found that I like to use Spotlight to find apps quickly, rather than looking through homescreens and folders. Welcome to the forum!
Click the green button if you appreciate my help and contribution.

---------------------------------------------------------

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kendellrt
Follow me on Twitter: @kendellrt

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts
I guess Daemon Tool gets rid of the excess background daemons that you don't need. There's about 53 of them or so and they can take up a lot of your devices RAM. So it's pretty much just clearing out the excess clutter in your device that you don't need. I'll take a look at this "Speed Intensifier" and then I'll put it in the list of tips for people who don't like FakeClockUp. Thank you for your input!

Woody6866

Woody6866

Godzilla

• VIP
  • 540 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4S
  • Firmware:6.1.3
Auto 3g is my biggest battery saver. At night before I go to sleep I set it radios off when locked and my battery stays at 100% overnight. I set it to edge when locked during the day and tha helps alot with my battery life during the day especially since Im texting and surfing cydia and iphone forums all the time. I also use backgrounder to kill all apps after exiting except certain one thats i use often.

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts
Yeah I find it's a very good feature to have, it helps out a lot!

summX

summX
  • 234 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4
I was looking for backgrounder. But cydia says it not avaiable "I wasn´t able to locate file for the backgrounder package blablabla".
So where to find it?

forget it. hat to close out and refresh all sources

Edited by summX, 29 April 2011 - 01:34 PM.

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts
Glad you could find it! Cydia can be a pain sometimes!

cl1ck4207

cl1ck4207
  • 32 Posts
  • Firmware:4.2.6
any news on daemon tool wirking with the other tweaks you have suggested without messing up anything?

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts
If you go to this thread, it lists all the Daemons that can be removed.

Do not worry about using the Daemon Tool tweak, you won't have a problem with it. It removes all the Daemons that control crash dumps, and little things that you don't need. I recommend using it as it'll do the work for you and you don't have to SSH into your phone or anything.

noalternative

noalternative
  • VIP
  • 6 Posts
  • Firmware:4.3
Very good tips, thanks!!!

wljw69

wljw69

Insane Muthr 'fer

• VIP
  • 1,413 Posts
  • Firmware:5.1.1
good guide, already have done a few of these

summX

summX
  • 234 Posts
Yeah. But Auto3G from insane repo nags about license :(.

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts

good guide, already have done a few of these

Thank you, I hoped it helped!

Yeah. But Auto3G from insane repo nags about license :(.

Yeah, licensing is a pain! But there's always another approach to that!

aurrum

aurrum

Photographer - GrphxDesigner

• VIP
  • 637 Posts
hrm, im 50/50 with backgrounder. I use Multicleaner and set the activation method to Short Hold and it just quits the app then rather then having to choose the apps then thinking 'shit i shouldn't have quit it'.
so I don't know, what do you guys think?
Multicleaner or Backgrounder?

BTW whats this Daemon Tool About? I don't understand it. =/

xWick3dx

xWick3dx
  • VIP
  • 51 Posts
personally i like and use multicleaner, just my .02

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts

hrm, im 50/50 with backgrounder. I use Multicleaner and set the activation method to Short Hold and it just quits the app then rather then having to choose the apps then thinking 'shit i shouldn't have quit it'.
so I don't know, what do you guys think?
Multicleaner or Backgrounder?

BTW whats this Daemon Tool About? I don't understand it. =/

Daemon Tool is a tweak that deletes all the unneeded background daemons running on your iDevice. The daemons take up CPU and RAM, causing your device to slow down. This tool just cleans up the ones that are not needed, thusly speeding up your device.

aurrum

aurrum

• VIP
  • 637 Posts
ooo, thats pretty sweet! I installed it so lets hope this all works out =D just a few things that I didn't install like Backgrounder Auto3G and fakeclockup.
we definitely need more tweaks and stuff like this!

The list is pretty good. you should definitely add brc's syscleanpro in that, clears up a lot of space by getting rid of the language packs of your choice from what I remember.

Is there something that clears your cache from safari each time you quit it? or is that something kinda pointless? cause I go into settings and clear it from there.
If its anything like a computer it should speed it up a bit by getting rid of that right?

kendellrt

kendellrt

Dalek Supreme

• VIP
  • 1,000 Posts
Is Auto3G compatible with 4.3.1?
Click the green button if you appreciate my help and contribution.

---------------------------------------------------------

Facebook: www.facebook.com/kendellrt
Follow me on Twitter: @kendellrt

U1G

U1G
  • 85 Posts
It's compatible with iPhones that have 3G with firmwares 3.1.X to 4.X. So it should be!

aurrum

aurrum

• VIP
  • 637 Posts
yea it should be but that whole thing about purchasing it form the cydia store then auto quiting the app happens. makes it seem like it doesn't work lol