6 replies to this topic

c0ff33

c0ff33

Siri's Pimp

• VIP
  • 627 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 5
  • Firmware:6.1
I have just been looking at how to set up iCloud for testing, and for a cloud based service it seems to require alot of off line setting up. iOS 5 is obviously required on your iDevice, but for your Mac you have to be running developer preview of Lion and have the stand alone iCloud app running - it also updates your iPhoto library for photo stream - but the library can't be downgraded once it's upgraded so a backup is going to be needed if you ever plan on going back.

Once you have done all that setting up, there is a process to manually move you mobileme data if you have it - to iCloud - but I was surprised to see you can't use your mobileme id for iCloud - you'll need a new Apple id for iCloud hence the need to migrate data. I still don't fully understand how the iCloud integration with the iTunes Library is going to work. I'm going to try and do all the above at the weekend and see if I can get the full iCloud service running, if anyone has managed already reply in this thread to update on what the service is like.

iPhone 5 64gb - 6.1 Evasi0n
iPod Touch 4g 8gb - 6.1 - Evasi0n
iPod Touch 4g 32gb - 6.1

iPad Mini 32gb - 6.1
iPad 2 32gb WiFi - 5.1 Absinthe
Macbook Air MC965B/A i5 4gb Ram 128gb SSD 10.8 Mountain Lion
Dell Mini 10V tablet mod / Dell XPS 17 - both dual booting Windows 7 / OSX / Lion
2160502.png

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 18,394 Posts
  • Twitter:@insanelyi
  • Firmware:7.0.6
Oh wow sounds like a bit of work. I am curious to how this works out for you.

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

chaosz

chaosz

Superstar

• VIP
  • 247 Posts
  • iDevice:iPad 3
  • Firmware:6.0
iCloud is to me an awsome feature? Mind you I do not have a MobileMe account or a Mac I want to use Lion on atm (I have in the past).
Enabling iCloud on the iPhone and iPad was very easy (enter your account and enable the features you want). Photostream rocks. You just snap some pictures on your iPhone and within a minute or so they appear on your iPad. Creating a backup to the cloud is also very fast, since it appears just to backup "links" to what you have installed and not the actually package. That 5GB goes a long way.
What I do wonder about is if it will also sync savegames between devices? Anyone know that? That is the one thing I cannot understand about Gamecenter, that it doesn't backup savegames!
I'm also not entirely sure if you can do a full restore without a Mac or Pc ?

c0ff33

c0ff33

Siri's Pimp

• VIP
  • 627 Posts
iCloud is basically mobileme on Steroids, there is a windows iCloud program to facilitate synching calendars, contacts etc with Windows. Where I had got stuck is I had not realised I could not use my MobileMe e-mail for iCloud - the two have to be seperate. For anyone with mobileme already who wants to try out iCloud you need to move your data across manually from one to the other:-

Ensure you are logged into mobile me and your data (contacts, calendars etc) are synching to your iDevice, by default the Calendar only syncs 1 month back, so go into settings -> mail -> scroll to calendars at the bottom and set synch to ALL Events. Then open you calendar - the spinning cog will start spinning to show new data is being downloaded - wait until it finishes and then check all you calendar data is there.

Now we must stop MobileMe sync - so go back into settings, mail, your mobileme account and turn off one by one, but choose to keep data on device - Contacs, Calendars, Bookmarks, Find my iphone. You can leave on mail and notes.

Now we can mege the data on the data into icloud - so we have effectively moved our mobileme data across to icloud (at present your data will now be cloud hosted in two locations by Apple)

Open Settings - iCloud. Type in your Apple Id - BUT IT MUST NOT BE A MOBILE ME ID - you might have to create a brand new AppleId for the purpose of iCloud - it's a weird concept but there you are. Once you enter your password you will obtain your iCloud menu and you can turn on the services you require.

iPod Touch 4g 32gb - 6.1

iPad Mini 32gb - 6.1
Dell Mini 10V tablet mod / Dell XPS 17 - both dual booting Windows 7 / OSX / Lion
2160502.png

c0ff33

c0ff33

Siri's Pimp

• VIP
  • 627 Posts
I installed lion to a 250gb usb hard drive so my iTunes library would fit tonight, then restored my iOS5 device - got stuck with tiny screen syndrome from some jb app I installed.

Anyway, installed on lion the iCloud app - bizarrely it comes up under settings as part of Internet & Wireless as Mail, Contacts & Calendars - anyway choose iCloud and log in. As you would expect your contacts, calendars etc sync automatically from iCloud to your computer. iPhoto is beta only, you can't go back and it's library will not work with the official release so anything in it should be testing only - but I have got photos taken on ipt4 automatically appearing in iPhoto for lion so it does work.

Now this bit I really can not get my head round - I have app synching working, but I really still do not understand how it works! My situation is complex anyway as I have an AOL iTunes account - but somehow it works - Apple support managed to ignore this other then saying iTunes accounts could not be merged in my request to move my Aol Account to my MobileMe (maybe they can now merge my iCloud id lol) - anyway for app sync to work I had to go into iTunes > preferences > store and tick everything. Then on IOS 5 device I had to go into settings > store and change my setup default iCloud id to my iTunes id - I got some message about something not working for 90 days after the change but did it anyway. Finally all seemed well as updates did install - then I downloaded an app on iOS5 device, played it - opened iTunes on Lion and sure enough it immediately started downloading the app I had installed on my iOS5 device - even though the two were totally disconnected the whole time.

Tomorrow night I will be upgrading my iPad to iOS5 and will see how the two iOS5 devices get on with Lion and each other - but so far this is looking really good - and this week there were also reports of Apple filing a patent for Wireless charging - possibly future iOS devices won't even have a connection port?

iPod Touch 4g 32gb - 6.1

iPad Mini 32gb - 6.1
2160502.png

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 18,394 Posts
  • Twitter:@insanelyi
  • Firmware:7.0.6
Wow thats quite the adventure. I'm just barely touching into iOS5 features

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

stlwkr

stlwkr

Novice

• VIP
  • 33 Posts
@c0ff33, how's lion and iCloud coming along? Have you run into any problems/limitations? I've only recently , this evening, installed the Lion GM seed and iCloud, so I didn't get to work with it much. Everything seems to be going well. Have you had a chance to try iMessage yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users