Plex Icefilms Plugin

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

mattymac

mattymac
  • 39 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4
  • Firmware:5.0
Here is a great Icefilms plugin to stream movies and tv shows off the net. Many of you may already use XMBC and Icefilms but currently XMBC doesn't allow streaming 720p high def content adequately. It always seems to become choppy and have audio and frame drops. The Plex player can handle playing 720p content very well.

Here is the link for the plugin.

My link

Instructions

1. Have Plex installed on both your computer and your aTV 2

2. Unzip the plugin file

3. Move the plugin to /Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/

4. Reboot your aTV 2

Cheers.

EDIT - If you are running Lion the library folder will be hidden. Run this in terminal to reveal the library folder.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts
  • Twitter:@insanelyi
  • iDevice:iPhone 5
  • Firmware:7.0.6
Oh cool, I always used Plex and peeps keep suggesting I try this and now I can without installing XBMC.

Thanks for this.

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

Mikey

Mikey

ATV2 DEV

• VIP
  • 309 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4S
  • Firmware:5.0.1
Let us know what the 720p is like
Posted Image

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts
I will I'm going to slap it in there soon :)

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

Mikey

Mikey

ATV2 DEV

• VIP
  • 309 Posts
On xbmc with 720 is fine as long as its not an avi

So sull test test test and I might change over please be honest though
Posted Image

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts

On xbmc with 720 is fine as long as its not an avi

So sull test test test and I might change over please be honest though

Trying it now will let you know.

What I do know already is that all my 'new' content is all 720p I'm also gonna say mostly MKV..... gonna test plugin shortly.

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

Mikey

Mikey

ATV2 DEV

• VIP
  • 309 Posts
Mkv will always be fine so will m4v mp4 but avi 720 always choppy with apple even if it's downloaded rather than streamed so doubt plex will be any different
Posted Image

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts
Dunno it's not working out of the box, I choose and video, I then choose source#1 720p, the next screen then says your movie will be ready in 10 seconds, regardless if you wait 10 seconds or not the next screen has a little plex symbol and it'll just sit there.

Maybe if I had a little more info to go off of like what this plugin works with exactly version wise, uhhh I'll tinker around for a sec, go ahead suggest something ??

I should note going to preferences shows blank.....

EDIT:

Might be version issue, Server is out of date so gonna do some updating and report back.

EDIT:

After reading a tiny bit pretty much any changes to any software ie new versions breaks this, I honestly don't have time to mess with it anymore it's not working with my setup, I updated PMS and Plex on aTV but no go and now im seeing that might have been bad anyway newer breaks the plugin. I'll touch back on this later but currently no go, I'm now running the latest PMS which is 9.5.2 and for aTV it's 0.9 Beta, this version 0.0.9.0.0-312c11b0 I should also add I'm downgrading from the beta on my aTV because I have the same issue as before is that if gridview is enabled then going to tv or movies just crashes atv

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

mattymac

mattymac
  • 39 Posts
Mikey it works flawlessly. Trust me. Sull, it's not a version issue. Tested and working on all beta versions. There is a trick tho. Click on the link you want to watch, it will go to the screen where it says wait 10 seconds, wait at least 10 secs, hit menu to go back to the previous screen, then go back to the vid part you want to watch, it will say play now.

Plex does the video decoding on the computer side sending a playable stream to the atv2. Xbmc does it on the atv2, where the processor is the same as the iPhone. It's not powerful enough to handle the decoding of avi.

Also note installing any non beta versions of plex on the season pass jailbreak with crash your atv2.

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts

Mikey it works flawlessly. Trust me. Sull, it's not a version issue. Tested and working on all beta versions. There is a trick tho. Click on the link you want to watch, it will go to the screen where it says wait 10 seconds, wait at least 10 secs, hit menu to go back to the previous screen, then go back to the vid part you want to watch, it will say play now.

Plex does the video decoding on the computer side sending a playable stream to the atv2. Xbmc does it on the atv2, where the processor is the same as the iPhone. It's not powerful enough to handle the decoding of avi.

Also note installing any non beta versions of plex on the season pass jailbreak with crash your atv2.

Well from reading the plex forums for 10 minutes it can be a version issue or people are having other issues and claiming version.... Not running Plex beta on aTV, if you run gridview crashes aTV which sucks because I use that.

This is what I did initially, when I got the 'your video will be ready in 10 seconds' I waited 10 seconds then went ahead not back <-- so that's the issue, just as you explained it. Really would make it easier if you go forward like everyone would normally do haha

Anyhow I'm now rocking icefilms, I'm playing Inception 720p, initially it looked like it was buffering so I paused the video for a second and it's been playing the last few minutes fine.

@Mikey, Pretty much my 720p content is mkv and mostly lower content SD stuff is avi.

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

mattymac

mattymac
  • 39 Posts

Well from reading the plex forums for 10 minutes it can be a version issue or people are having other issues and claiming version.... Not running Plex beta on aTV, if you run gridview crashes aTV which sucks because I use that.

This is what I did initially, when I got the 'your video will be ready in 10 seconds' I waited 10 seconds then went ahead not back <-- so that's the issue, just as you explained it. Really would make it easier if you go forward like everyone would normally do haha

Anyhow I'm now rocking icefilms, I'm playing Inception 720p, initially it looked like it was buffering so I paused the video for a second and it's been playing the last few minutes fine.

@Mikey, Pretty much my 720p content is mkv and mostly lower content SD stuff is avi.

Yeah it would be easier if you could go forward right away. This plugin is just a beta icefilms plugin. When the plugin is fully developed I will post it. It currently does not give you access to music, comedy or other categories. Cheers.

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts

Yeah it would be easier if you could go forward right away. This plugin is just a beta icefilms plugin. When the plugin is fully developed I will post it. It currently does not give you access to music, comedy or other categories. Cheers.

Ya currently browsing through seeing what they have :) Can you give me a link to where the discussion is for this plugin, I saw one thread at plex forums is that where you got this ?

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

mattymac

mattymac
  • 39 Posts

Ya currently browsing through seeing what they have :) Can you give me a link to where the discussion is for this plugin, I saw one thread at plex forums is that where you got this ?

My link

Here ya go.

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts

My link

Here ya go.

Ok perfect that was a thread I was looking at.

:offtopic: do you have that unofficial appstore plugin installed ?

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

Mikey

Mikey

ATV2 DEV

• VIP
  • 309 Posts
Just downloaded 720p avi and still choppy through xbmc
Posted Image

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts

Just downloaded 720p avi and still choppy through xbmc

I can't honestly say I have any 720p avi, most TV shows and Movies come mkv...... But the other dude is saying avi won't work with XBMC.

EDIT:

Mean to say no 720p AVI :)

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

mattymac

mattymac
  • 39 Posts

I can't honestly say I don't have any 720p avi, most TV shows and Movies come mkv...... But the other dude is saying avi won't work with XBMC.

Most of icefilms 720p is avi. Hence why you can't play it on XBMC.

You can also add the plex app on your ipad or iphone and watch icefilms with plex media server, or any other video you have on your computer for that matter.

And yes i do have the unofficial app store installed.

Boss

Boss

• Administrator
  • 19,588 Posts

Most of icefilms 720p is avi. Hence why you can't play it on XBMC.

You can also add the plex app on your ipad or iphone and watch icefilms with plex media server, or any other video you have on your computer for that matter.

And yes i do have the unofficial app store installed.

Once I actually bought a TV, I picked up an aTV at the same time and of course it was jailbroken (DUH) a long time ago I used to use plex so that was the choice I made, + everything just works with plex, Install PMS, install Plex on aTV, set a few costetic settings for your viewing pleasure and your good to go + I of course I have the plex app on my iPad and that's my 'bedroom TV' :D cool story hey ?

I bought the premium Plex app on my iPad, but there is an issue with it, I think I couldn't tell where I was at in a show so I went back to the free version, I could have overlooked it though.

1393981567__qxqe5w.jpg

Mikey

Mikey

ATV2 DEV

• VIP
  • 309 Posts
And the 720p was locally on atv2 aswell
Posted Image

mattymac

mattymac
  • 39 Posts

And the 720p was locally on atv2 aswell

What do you mean? Is it working for you?