• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 5
  • Firmware:6.0
I feel like a noob with this problem but I can't find an answer or reason anywhere. I have jailbroken multiple devices, including my own about 100 times, and am fully aware of how to enter DFU mode but here's the problem:

I'm trying to jb my friend's AT&T iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 using redsn0w. It is basically the same exact phone I own. The issue is that his phone won't enter DFU mode. I did everything I'm supposed to do... Hold power button for 3 secs, add the home button for 10 secs, release the power and hold the home button...

The screen is supposed to stay black but his phone shows the apple logo and then shows the connect to iTunes screen and sits in recovery mode NOT DFU mode.
I tried over and over and over and over at least 20 times but I can't get his phone to enter DFU. I even did it on mine again to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Is there a way to force a phone into DFU mode?

I get the feeling I'm gonna be trying this a thousand more times hoping that it just gives in and accepts it.
Thanks in advance for any kind of input!

highdecibels

highdecibels

Forum King

• VIP
  • 1,426 Posts
  • Firmware:6.1
I think ur just not waiting long enough to put device dfu n recovery mode is a matter of seconds difference to get into either

Hold both buttons down till the screen goes black count to 2
Let go of the top button while keeping hold of the bottom button n that will put I in dfu

Posted Image

Chris

Chris

Bazinga

• Administrator
  • 4,857 Posts
  • Twitter:@ChrisOSX
Maybe try following the sequence in Redsnow to tget to Pwned DFU mode.

Help insanelyi Out!

Like our repo, forum and everything that's involved? Every feature needs financial assistance to continue it's daily ongoing function. We ask you to Donate or purchase VIP whenever possible. Every little bit helps. Thank You ).gif

Personal donations can be given Here

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
hdb, I'll try that one next.

chris, I tried that too. I tried on my own and also tried following redsnow instructions. Still no luck.

Any more suggestions? Next time I see him I wanna have a handful of things to try.

I know tiny umbrella can force phone into recovery mode (which didn't work) but is there something that can put it in DFU?

mohseen

mohseen

• 15 Posts
  • iDevice:iPhone 4
  • Firmware:5.0.1
dude have you check the home button working perfectly?

because last time when I was jb my iphone had the same problem, after doing it many times going to recovery I realized that my I didn't press completely my home button. when I did it worked like a charm.

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
mohseen, I checked that as well. The phone had an otter box case on it and after the first 5 fails i took the case off to see if that was interfering. I even tried squeezing all the buttons harder just in case. This problem literally made me do this :wallbash: lol

I'm open to try any suggestions thrown up here and appreciate any help.

c0ff33

c0ff33

Siri's Pimp

• VIP
  • 627 Posts
Does his iPhone get recognised by iTunes? If you just plug it in running does iTunes see it? Just wondering if there is a dock connection issue with it.

Also try a different sync cable and different USB ports, and entirely different computer if you can. I know before I have had issues on Windoze where the USB port seems to blank a device and I have to change ports to get it recognised properly.

It's pretty strange you have this issue, because even non booting devices with hardware issues will enter DFU - I've had a few 3g iphones with water damage and they will not restore, but still go into DFU no problem.

iPhone 5 64gb - 6.1 Evasi0n
iPod Touch 4g 8gb - 6.1 - Evasi0n
iPod Touch 4g 32gb - 6.1

iPad Mini 32gb - 6.1
iPad 2 32gb WiFi - 5.1 Absinthe
Macbook Air MC965B/A i5 4gb Ram 128gb SSD 10.8 Mountain Lion
Dell Mini 10V tablet mod / Dell XPS 17 - both dual booting Windows 7 / OSX / Lion
2160502.png

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
c0ff, yes. when it's on and plugged in iTunes sees it. And iPhoto sees all the pictures on it.
Although I don't think the cable is the issue I'll switch it for the next go around. I'l also try both of the USB ports on my comp but I can't try a different one cuz I only have this macbook.

That's why I'm so frustrated with this issue! It's strange and it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing!!!!!

These are all good suggestions too so keep em coming!

c0ff33

c0ff33

Siri's Pimp

• VIP
  • 627 Posts
Well my mucky dock connector theory is blown out the water then,

If you are doing this for a mate, can you use his computer to rule out a local issue? Or at least can you get him to clean restore and try to enter DFU prior to it being even activated or synched - to rule out some weird iOS glitch with his on device data?

iPod Touch 4g 32gb - 6.1

iPad Mini 32gb - 6.1
Dell Mini 10V tablet mod / Dell XPS 17 - both dual booting Windows 7 / OSX / Lion
2160502.png

iBhiviy

iBhiviy

• 14 Posts
A friend of mine was having a similar problem. It started after his power button stopped working. He got it fixed but then was unable to put it into DFU mode to reboot tethered at the time. I tried helping him over the phone as much as I could but was unable to solve the problem. iTunes was also unable to recognize his device so I had him take it to apple where they restored his ip4 no problem. Turns out, he said he thinks he wasnt holding the buttons properly.

If all else fails, have apple restore it and then try again.

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
I just restored my phone so there has to be an issue with his device. If all of these lesser ideas fail I'll have to go big with the clean restore and try to jb off the first boot like you said, or even try his computer.

iBhiviy, if it comes down to having to take it to apple I'm not even gonna bother jb'ing it for him.

c0ff33

c0ff33

Siri's Pimp

• VIP
  • 627 Posts
Post back if you solve it wh1t3b0y - i'd be interested to know what is causing the issue.

iPod Touch 4g 32gb - 6.1

iPad Mini 32gb - 6.1
2160502.png

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
Definitely... I'll post my results after the next attempt.

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
I tried almost everything that was posted here and I can't figure out WTF is wrong with this phone. The only 2 things I didn't try was restoring the phone and trying it on a different computer. This is driving me insane! lkajbflkjbflbflkjaebrflhbwvkjh,sbfvkjrnf;akenf;ewjf;aeriknKLJQENDLJQB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no clue why it won't just go in DFU mode like a good little phone. I tried it on 2 other iPhones and also my iPad 2 and it works for all devices except for his. There's gotta be something wrong with his phone. AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

exe

exe

Lurker

• 1 Posts

I feel like a noob with this problem but I can't find an answer or reason anywhere. I have jailbroken multiple devices, including my own about 100 times, and am fully aware of how to enter DFU mode but here's the problem:

I'm trying to jb my friend's AT&T iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 using redsn0w. It is basically the same exact phone I own. The issue is that his phone won't enter DFU mode. I did everything I'm supposed to do... Hold power button for 3 secs, add the home button for 10 secs, release the power and hold the home button...

The screen is supposed to stay black but his phone shows the apple logo and then shows the connect to iTunes screen and sits in recovery mode NOT DFU mode.
I tried over and over and over and over at least 20 times but I can't get his phone to enter DFU. I even did it on mine again to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Is there a way to force a phone into DFU mode?

I get the feeling I'm gonna be trying this a thousand more times hoping that it just gives in and accepts it.
Thanks in advance for any kind of input!

My eng isnt very well, so I try my best to explain.

yes there is another method to put your phone in to dfu.

I did have the exact same prolem as u.

I did try the dfu trix soo many times that I did give up.
I even sign up for dev-ream to get answers. long story short I was banned even I did ask them is there another way to put the device in to dfu. They didnt even answer me. they say do the 10 sec trix check utube etc. I really tryed to say I have tryed this 15 million times it wont DFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aka BAN.

Back to tut

what I did google search and found this "http://theiphonewiki...title=DFU_Mode"

Steps
1. Make a copy of a fresh IPSW file.
2. Open the IPSW as a zip folder and browse to /firmware/all_Flash/all_flash.xxxxx.production/
3. Extract LLB.*****.RELEASE.img3 and open it in a hex editor.
4. Change some random bit or bits, it doesn't matter which or what you write.
5. Add the edited file back to the zip, rename zip to ipsw and restore it to your device using iTunes.
6. The restore will error out and your device will be in DFU Mode.

Alternative Method

If the previous method does not work for you, try this one.
1. Do steps 1 and 2 from above.
2. Delete LLB.*****.RELEASE.img3.
3. Copy applelogo.********.img3 to temporary directory.
4. Rename the copy of applelogo.********.img3 to LLB.*****.RELEASE.img3. (If you forget the name of the LLB file, you can find it again in the file named manifest.)
5. Copy the renamed applelogo file back to the all_flash.xxxxx.production directory.
6. Rename the zip.
7. Restore the file using iTunes. (If every thing goes well, you should receive an error 31 from iTunes.)

Step 1 and 2 will work. it will only put your phone in to DFU and stay like that and never recover to anything else just DFU. thats great

2. use redsnow to enter pwndfu

3 use sn0wbreez to create custom ipsw with cydia in it. (create cutom ipsw restore using itunes and tini umbreally.

now I will explain my experiens many many H of doing this. NOT the DFU part. but restoring with custom ipsw I got fail fail with diff error etc etc I even tryed to restore to 4.3.5 witch was succes. only problem was creating custom with sn0wbreez 4.3.5+cydia. I manage to restore using tiny umbreally.

phone started no signal no wifi (out greyed) WTF??? many back and fort I ended in restoring back to stock 5.0.1 ipsw no jailbreak.

my ipsw crashed when trying to make cutom ipsw using sn0wbreez after xx% crash with 4.3.5 no problem but broblem later.

I gave up. this DFU tut give u 100% DFU but u need to restore to cutom ipsw with cydia in it.

I will have anoter go with this when I again have time. I cant belive it my phone wont go dfu on 5.0.1

Hope u could read anythink I wrote.. I did have my blob files for 4.3.5 and 5.0.1

Do this steps if u know what u are doing I take no responsobility if u break it or canr restore it to stock.

ps. my experiens u cant destroy your phone with codes dfu etc etc no way.

I did signs for this forum just to answer your Q becuse I hae the same problem as u. GOD luck

wh1t3b0y

wh1t3b0y

Novice

• 47 Posts
Exe, I spotted that one too but thanks for the post. That's a little bit too much work for it tho.

I was able to jb his phone a couple days ago and everything worked perfectly! I was only able to do this cuz he brought his phone to apple and they gave him a new one haha. That phone drove me nuts but I'm past it now.

Super_furtive2007

Super_furtive2007

Lurker

• 1 Posts
hey i got the SAME problem, and I just solved it. I hope it works for you too.
I assume by now, after all the effort that you put in, you remember redsnow's instruction to get into the DFU mode.
What i did is to close redsnow
then I did the procedure from redsnow (with the program still being closed) again
then i open redsnow and choose extra, then shsh blobs than fetch, and redsnow just did what it supposed to do without accusing me about how I misunderstood the intruction and stuff.
Well, i really hope you will have an easy time now.

annalance

annalance

Lurker

• 3 Posts
While your iPhone is connected to your computer and iTunes is open hold the sleep button and the home button until the iPhone turns off as soon as it turns off let go of the sleep button and continue to hold the home button for ten seconds. If you did it right your screen should be black and your computer should recognize your iPhone as being in DFU mode. Here is the step-by-step guide of how to put iPhone 4 into DFU Mode.
And by the way jailbreaking the 6.0 firmware on the iPhone is propobly the safest and easiest firmware to jailbreak. I have a jailbroken 6.0 iPhone and it works just fine and it gives me access to hundreds of free apps that are generally 10-50 dollars in the apple app store. And it does not void your warranty as you could always restore your iPhone.

Rossmelonides

Rossmelonides

Lurker

• 1 Posts

OK so i figured out what to do......most likely you encountered some cydia errors or messed up your device.

make sure u saved shsh blobs for the firmware you want to keep if you ever want to be able to go back to it if you update

what you must do next is put your device in restore mode (google how to or use tinyumbrella to do it)

then update it to latest firmware and when that is complete you downgrade it back to the firmware you wanted to fix in the first place

i have a 3gs on 6.1.2 and it wouldnt enter dfu so i updated it to 6.1.3 and im gonna downgrade it back as soon as its updated since i saved shsh blobs, i kept getting "sub process usr/lib/dpkg (2)" from cydia so i dont know if this had anything to do with not going into dfu

I am currently downgrading it to ios 6.1.2 so i will post again once its finished

HOPE THIS HELPS :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users