brc0703

Win 7 boot usb loading win 10 upgrade??

11 posts in this topic

so a few months back i made a bootable win 7 on usb thumb drive. i installed that same win 7 on my system a couple weeks ago and went and screwed up some permissions and now have trouble with installing programs and all sorts of stuff.

when i view the install image its not showing as an image but as a file system and im just clicking setup in / of the usb drive. i thought it shouldnt it be an iso or something? it does the same when i view an install dvd, its just shows me the file system

i went to try and reinstall the OS from that usb drive and if i boot from it it works to install a clean install but if i just want to repair the OS and keep my files it says to boot up normal and run the install from windows. when i do that i it loads the win titled windows 10 setup then when it gives me the option to select and OS is give me win 7 x86/64 and i select x86, the same one currently running but then it says i cant keep my files because its a different OS that currently installed. so im a little confused as to what its going to install.

Why not just do System Restore to roll-back to before the point where you messed up the perms?

The files on a thumb are extracted from the .iso and are made bootable so it's not just an .iso image on a thumb drive.

And the repair option only works when you boot from the USB and go into the repair options.

I don't think that works from within Windows.

And are you sure your current system is running 32-bit Windows?

You said you tried the x86 so i find it a bit odd that people still use 32-bit LOL, unless you're still rocking an old Penthium 4... :troll:

Maybe the flies are corrupt due to which you are facing the problem. Do a clean install. All you files and documents will be saved in windows.old folder. 

4 hours ago, TheClown said:

And the repair option only works when you boot from the USB and go into the repair options.

I don't think that works from within Windows.

And are you sure your current system is running 32-bit Windows?

You said you tried the x86 so i find it a bit odd that people still use 32-bit LOL, unless you're still rocking an old Penthium 4... :troll:

im just saying that when i booted from the usb when i got to the part that says do a clean install or install keeping files if i click to keep files it tells me to boot up without the install cd in the drive and then run it from within windows..

i just use 32 bit because thats what im use to.. i tried 64 once a few years ago and none "unauthorized" programs would work because they are all 32 bit and i dont want to go find new ones.. whats the benefit of 64 bit?

4 minutes ago, brc0703 said:

im just saying that when i booted from the usb when i got to the part that says do a clean install or install keeping files if i click to keep files it tells me to boot up without the install cd in the drive and then run it from within windows..

i just use 32 bit because thats what im use to.. i tried 64 once a few years ago and none "unauthorized" programs would work because they are all 32 bit and i dont want to go find new ones.. whats the benefit of 64 bit?

Hmm yeah not sure about that then.

I never attempt to repair anything as a reinstall is just as fast. :p Or i atleast try a System Restore where you roll back to a previous point.

As for the x86/x64, a x86 operation system can only handle up to 4GB of rams. That amount of ram is imo the minimum required for a decent setup nowadays.

And nowadays all 64 bit OS's can run 32-bit software so there's really nothing that's holding you back.

This has only ever happened to me when flashing a copy of Windows 7 installer that uses a custom Windows 8.1/10 Setup from someone who modified it for cracked use. Is that a possible thing that could've occurred on the device before?

Also, I'd roll 64 like Erwinn said. Especially if the CPU has that instruction set available.

Run this command via cmd.exe (as admin) except point the filepath to the boot.wim on the DVD/USB and reply with the output please :)

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:1

hmm where is the dism command? its works in cmd but i use interix a lot for any command line stuff and it usually runs my unix and windows commands but i cant find dism anywhere. interix still comes with 64 bit i hope.. heres the outpuut

Index : 1
Name : Microsoft Windows PE (x86)
Description : Microsoft Windows PE (x86)
Size : 1,186,780,118 bytes
Architecture : x86
Hal : <undefined>
Version : 10.0.10586
ServicePack Build : 0
ServicePack Level : 0
Edition : WindowsPE
Installation : WindowsPE
ProductType : WinNT
ProductSuite :
System Root : WINDOWS
Directories : 3050
Files : 13167
Created : 10/29/2015 - 10:49:34 PM
Modified : 2/20/2016 - 7:46:08 PM
Languages :
        en-US (Default)

I'm not sure if you intentionally made a WinPE USB or anything, but what I'd do is rebuild your USB if you can. As for the filesystem question, most USBs and some DVDs will just show the filesystem instead of having a proper autorun execution. I find disabling autorun to be more secure anyways, give you a chance to see what you're about to execute.

ok so i got another iso and it installed but its acting up.. i did a clean install and it boots up but  some links are not clickable. i click them and they do nothing.. like in the control panel i can click the section headers and they work but not the links under each header. also i can run cmd as my normal user but if i try to run as admin it says could not find cmd.exe make sure you typed it right. thinking about just formatting and reinstalling another iso maybe.. whos got a good link?

If you got a product key then you can just download the original ISO from Microsoft website.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Or download here:

Ultimate 32bit: 

http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=118183&t=0&i=2

Ultimate 64bit:

http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=118183&t=0&i=3

i have the product key on the bottom of the computer.. but thats for vista.. so it seems that i cant click anything that has the shield symbol for uac stuff.. it always says it cant find whatever it is.. cant even format or do anything really important.. cant take ownership either.. going to try your link to 64bit thanks