Boss

aTV Flash (Black)

158 posts in this topic

aTV Flash (black) is a user-friendly software package that supercharges your new black AppleTV, unleashing a plethora of new functionality. Don’t worry about the technical details – aTV Flash (black) is simple to use and safe for your AppleTV. Installation is a snap and doesn’t require any physical changes to the AppleTV.

Some nice features are you can easily install NitoTV, Plex, XBMC, Browser, Weather, RSS Feeds etc

Here is a very easy method to install aTV Flash (Black) on your AppleTV 2.

Open 'Terminal' on your Mac or if on Windows download 'Putty'

ssh root@apple-tv.local

echo "deb http://repo.insanelyi.com ios free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/insanelyi.list

apt-get update

apt-get install com.sull.firecorerepository

apt-get update

apt-get install com.firecore.maintenance

From here you can install the Media Player or Couch Surfer Pro (Web Browser) like so

apt-get install com.firecore.media

apt-get install com.firecore.couchsurfer

Thanks man. I'm just updating my ATV right now on the new firmware. aTV Flash has always been worth it.

Can you tell me more about it?

aTV Flash is a user-friendly software package that supercharges your AppleTV, unleashing a plethora of new functionality. $39.99 value.. sweet share

I'm realizing now this is probably the first package your going to want to install on your jailbroken Apple TV 2 after jailbreaking because it'll give you the options of installing most of the good modifications and software with a click of a button, I went ahead and untethered my Apple TV 2, I then proceeded to open and ssh connection via terminal and install Plex <-- yes plex because I am running PMS ( Plex Media Server ) on my Mac Server. After I did this I thought I would check out aTV Flash (Black) since someone was kind enough to post a version here, now I did not check out aTV first time around because I didn't want to spend 20 bucks on a piece of software that was complete garbage!!! Little did I know the software is pretty decent.

I have also installed XBMC now to compare the differences between that and Plex, but it seems I have to run a plugin to get XBMC to read PMS ( Plex Media Server ) and I have yet to figure out how to add my server as a source properly. None the less looks like XBMC is a little more customizable where Plex is more of a generic Apple TV 2 UI look.

PS. You can buy this software for 19.99 from firecore.com/

Oh and another reason why I didn't jump on this software right away is the fact that the firecore site is very vague on what you actually are able to install with this. They give you this generic info like Access media anywhere and take control <--- who cares about all that bullshit I want to know exactly what I can install on my apple tv not that I can 'control the show' right. :laughing:

Updated to B5

I've been holding back from buying cuz I think it's ridiculous paying for a beta version but if most of the kinks are out I may consider forking the few bucks. What do you think of it so far Sull?

Honestly I'm not sure what your paying for. Granted I guess you could call this the gateway to install other software on your Apple TV, But that being said you don't need this to install that software.

You are getting the browser with this. ( not used much yet )

You also get the media player which is working a little better since the update. It's a local media player or you can find shares. ( not used much as I use Plex )

They give you the option to install NitoTV which has most of the good software and NitoTV is kind of like Cydia except only a few packages are being featured, you can search for me. I tested this by adding insanelyi repo and downloading the bonjour fix :)

But out of all the software you can get I'm confused why this piece costs money and other pieces don't... It's almost like they should, BUT are are we freeing out AppleTV to just pay more for software I don't know.

I'm happy with it and I would suggest it for most people as an easy way to get all the latest software, NitoTV, Plex/XBMC, Media, Any Weather crap, also available on NitoTV <-- NitoTV in theory should be charged for as well if they are charging for this haha. It's all good though.

I forgot to add <-- the fact that it's use friendly is the selling point. All other software would need to be installed first via command line and some are not comfortable with that.

I've used the atv flash black B4 for a week now and enjoy it. I'll download copy of B5 and will upgrade. I must say I enjoy the ATV2 more now than before. Glad to have more control, tweaks, and functionality!

I've used the atv flash black B4 for a week now and enjoy it. I'll download copy of B5 and will upgrade. I must say I enjoy the ATV2 more now than before. Glad to have more control, tweaks, and functionality!

You can go to the maintenance tab and upgrade all aTV Flash Black software there. No need to reinstall B5 you get B5 from the maintenance menu.

Feeling like a moron... Im on windows, how do I go about installing things I download outside of the ATV.

You must not have even unzipped the archive huh ?

Unzip and install the windows executable.

:wallbash: I figured it contained a .deb or something, and that I would need an iFile like program. FML

You will need that also.

Download Putty

Hey !! So i downloaded the aTV Flash(black) Beta 5 . its said

aTV Flash installer cannot proceed due to 1 or 2 things:

1. you're not connect to Internet

2. this version is out of date

Is there a workaround??

Plz help :(

^ Updated first post with beta 6

Thanks man, cool!

And just read that aTV Flash (black) Beta6 for Apple TV 2 Now Available

Hi,

Just found this topic, any chance of an update to aTV Flash Black beta7 please, I would really like to try before I buy.

Why I ask is I have Nito Tv and XBMC running with Seas0nPass Jailbreak. It took me quite a few attempts to get the ATV2 in DFU mode to successfully jailbreak.

I would like to compare XBMC and aTV Flash Black, if someone has already done this please feel free to comment.

I also use a wireless router with my Twonky NAS that streams HD content fine to my ATV2 only if I enable UpnP. Samba seems to be stuttering with my setup.

I am wondering if aTV flash Black is better as it now supports music streaming. XBMC is problematic at best with music streaming so I am looking at an all in one solution. XBMC also seems to crash often after loading music files, and quite often won't pick up my NAS without a bit of tweaking.

Thanks in advance for your input.............

Hi,

Just found this topic, any chance of an update to aTV Flash Black beta7 please, I would really like to try before I buy.

Why I ask is I have Nito Tv and XBMC running with Seas0nPass Jailbreak. It took me quite a few attempts to get the ATV2 in DFU mode to successfully jailbreak.

I would like to compare XBMC and aTV Flash Black, if someone has already done this please feel free to comment.

I also use a wireless router with my Twonky NAS that streams HD content fine to my ATV2 only if I enable UpnP. Samba seems to be stuttering with my setup.

I am wondering if aTV flash Black is better as it now supports music streaming. XBMC is problematic at best with music streaming so I am looking at an all in one solution. XBMC also seems to crash often after loading music files, and quite often won't pick up my NAS without a bit of tweaking.

Thanks in advance for your input.............

ATV Flsh Black and XBMC is not to be compared, the two are totally different ATV Black is a set of software, sorry I don't have beta7, but you can simply add the repo and download all the files via apt-get, I can tell you how.

ATV Flash Black comes with a Video player, browser, weather and some other tools, it also will install nitoTV for you etc etc...

I don't use XBMC, but I use Plex and ya it still fails a bunch, though it still works and plays 720p MKV files now perfectly fine and that's what I want :)

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I was trying to get away from using a PC based server, therefore I have a NAS. Its a WD World Book , white light edition which seems to work OK. If its not too much trouble I am happy with command line- if you can PM or post online instructions on how to add the repo and download using apt-get it would be much appreciated.

ATV Flsh Black and XBMC is not to be compared, the two are totally different ATV Black is a set of software, sorry I don't have beta7, but you can simply add the repo and download all the files via apt-get, I can tell you how.

ATV Flash Black comes with a Video player, browser, weather and some other tools, it also will install nitoTV for you etc etc...

I don't use XBMC, but I use Plex and ya it still fails a bunch, though it still works and plays 720p MKV files now perfectly fine and that's what I want :)

I sshd in to my ATV2 and tried to add this in command line but get an error - apt-get install --reinstall com.firecore.maintenance. It replies with Couldn't find package com.firecore.maintenance. Am I missing any steps here?

ssh into your apple tv and run these commands:

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'm gonna have to build you a deb or somethign to get this done as the depends won't be found. Give me a few to check out what's needed and I'll get back to you.

EDIT:

Shouldn't be long hang tight.

ok ssh into your appletv and now run these commands, remember each line is a command:

apt-get install wget

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22090093/com.firecore.sources.deb

dpkg -i com.firecore.sources.deb

apt-get update

rm -f com.firecore.sources.deb

Now the only hiccup here would be the depends of the maintenance package, the depends should all be in included repositories, but since I have everything installed I cannot tell, let me know if this works fine, just post the errors if any here.

ok ssh into your appletv and now run these commands, remember each line is a command:

apt-get install wget

wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22090093/com.firecore.sources.deb

dpkg -i com.firecore.sources.deb

rm -f com.firecore.sources.deb

Now the only hiccup here would be the depends of the maintenance package, the depends should all be in included repositories, but since I have everything installed I cannot tell, let me know if this works fine, just post the errors if any here.

Thanks

Got to the end and received this error - E: Couldn't find package com.firecore.maintenance

Woops forgot one command in there, I edited the post above.

Just run this:

apt-get update